Wednesday, December 17, 2008

It's That Time of Year...

I'm in a baking frenzy trying to get all my cookies baked by Christmas. So far I've made batches of chocolate chip, cinnamon, sponge and rum balls.

We've been making rum balls in my family for as long as I can remember. Normally we'd roll the finished balls in powdered sugar turning them into rum filled snowballs. This year I decided to roll them in chocolate sprinkles instead. I love the way they turned out and will probably do them this way from now on.


It's season two of Food Blogga's Eat Christmas Cookies event and I'm submitting my chocolate sprinkled covered rum balls. You have until December 21st to post your cookie recipes.
RUM BALLS WITH CHOCOLATE SPRINKLES
1 large box vanilla wafers
3 TBS cocoa powder
3 TBS light corn syrup
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup rum
chocolate sprinkles (for rolling)
Process the vanilla wafers in a food processor until finely ground. Add the powdered sugar and cocoa powder and stir until combined. Add the corn syrup and rum and mix well. Chill if necessary and then shape into 1 inch balls. Roll the balls in the chocolate sprinkles. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

4 comments:

  1. Rum balls are the best, YUM!! I love the chocolate sprinkles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh,I love cookies rolled in chocolate sprinkles, or as I call them, "jimmies." Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking about these this morning. I couldn't remember if my mom used rum or bourbon. They were one of my favorites too! Definitely a family heritage favorite! :) I was born in South Philly.. but moved to California at a very young age. We still have family there and miss them very much. My mom still compares every bakery to the Termini Bros. :)
    Ciao and Feste Felici a Voi!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a huge fan of the taste of rum, but the fact that you used vanilla wafers in a truffle makes me very interested...plus I'm a girl so if you put sprinkles on something I'll automatically like it :)

    ReplyDelete