Friday, December 19, 2008

Just When I Thought I was Finally Finished Baking

Browsing through the December issue of Bon Appetit I saw a Mario Batali recipe for mixed nut brittle. As you've probably figured out, from reading my blog, I'm a huge fan of Batali. I also love almonds and pine nuts (the nuts used in this recipe). So even though I had told myself I was done baking I decided to give this a try. I'd never made brittle before but this recipe was easy enough to follow and took no time at all to make. The toughest part was getting the brittle spread in the pan before it cooled and hardened. I'm sending this over to be included in FoodBlogga's Eat Christmas Cookie Event. Now I'm really done!

Mixed Nut Brittle

Makes about 1 ½ lbs.
Nonstick vegetable oil spray
2 cups sugar
¼ cup water
¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter, cubed
¼ cup corn syrup
1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1 cup pine nuts (about 4 ½ ounces)
1 cup sliced almonds (about 3 ½ ounces)
Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and coat with nonstick spray.
Mix sugar and water in heavy large saucepan. Add butter and corn syrup. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves and butter melts. Attach candy thermometer to pan side. Increase heat; cook without stirring until mixture is deep golden brown, bubbling thickly, and thermometer registers 350°F, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat. Remove thermometer. Using large wooden spoon, stir in salt, then all nuts.

Turn mixture out onto prepared sheet. Using large offset spatula, spread to ¼ inch thickness. Cool completely. Break into pieces of desired size.

Do ahead. Can be made 2 weeks ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.

7 comments:

  1. I've had such bad luck with a candy thermometer, but I want to overcome it!This brittle would be such a nice gift all wrapped in a pretty box! I've never made rum balls either, but always grab them when I see them on a plater. Two things I have to try in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so easy to make and really delicious! And your all done baking? Your awesome! Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love peanut brittle and anything with nuts!
    I always buy Planters' Peanut Bars!
    My favorite!
    Happy Holidays!
    Hope to be in Phx in March!
    I need some sun!
    Stacey Snacks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, your brittle looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love homemade candy. This looks so good with those almonds on top.

    ReplyDelete